The members of Volcanic Productions
This post is to introduce the four team members of Volcanic Productions
![]() |
| 1. Deanna, 2. Cameron, 3. Daniel, 4. Charlotte |
1) Deanna (Me)
Strengths: Directing, Post-production and Camerawork
I feel that directing is my most proficient strength within media as I took on this role during the first year of my media course and have a lot more experience with it now. I am able to take control of the production team and make sure that production is running smoothly and that everything is running on schedule. I make sure that everybody is doing what they are meant to, to the best of their ability while I also come up with any new ideas for the narrative and ways of filming certain shots for the best effect. I direct the actors during filming whilst the others in the production team focus on doing the camerawork, sound-recording and lighting. This is why for this year I am once again taking the role of directing.
I have gained a lot of experience in the post-production aspect of media on Final Cut and Soundtrack-Pro, combining both my sound-editing and video editing skills together to create the final piece in my AS project. I prefer doing the sound-editing than the film editing as I feel I can be much more creative with the sound. However, this year we are using a different Final Cut - FCP X - which seems to be much easier to use, and also has gotten rid of the Soundtrack Pro software we used last year as we are able to do sound-editing within the new Final Cut.
Area of development: Sound-recording and focusing of the camera
I'm not very good with the focusing of the new Digital DSLR-600D Cameras, which could cause problems whilst filming. To improve on this myself and my production team are going to be meeting up during lunch times and after school to get in some practise sessions with the cameras to develop on the focusing issues. The sound recording I haven't really done much of and so have not really got any experience in the field been as last year I left it or Daniel to take control of, so for this A2 media course project I will be practising a lot more with the sound-recording kit.
2) Cameron
Strengths: Camerawork, Post-production and Sound-recording
Camerawork is Cameron's most proficient strength as he knows his way around the camera and is always eager to go out and film. The shots he gets are always well done and he is excellent at doing controlled shaky-cam, panning shots and crab shots as well as many more. Last year he was often found using the camera and has gained a lot of experience with it and the camera's equipment that goes with it, like the track and dolly.
Area of development: Focusing of the camera and directing
Cameron shows area of development in the directing aspect of the film making. He prefers to take a step back and do more hands on work like the filming rather than doing the directing of a production team. The focusing of the camera is also an area for improvement which is the same for everybody else in my group, including myself, however he seems to have a better grasp at the focusing then most of us.
3) Daniel
Strengths: Sound-recording, Sound Editing and Lighting
Throughout the AS course, Daniel was the team member who manned the sound-recording, making him an experienced part of the team in this area. For this reason we are appointing him sound-recorder again for the A2 course this year. He is the person in our production team who we go to for any sound issues and if we need anything recording due to his experience with the equipment needed.
He also helped me with the sound-editing last year which we hope he will do again as he seems to have a flare for this as him doing Music seems to allow him a better ear for the right sounding SFX and soundtracks.
Area of development: Focusing of the camera and time management
Daniel needs to practice the focusing of the camera along with the rest of us, as we all need to make sure the focusing is spot on before we head out shooting our films.
He also has room for little improvement in time management, as sometimes he can fall behind on some of his given duties - such as the blog posts.
4) Charlotte
Strengths: Directing, Post-production and Lighting
Charlotte shows strength within the directing of the production team, and she comes up many goods ideas for us to do. Both me and Charlotte are able to work together without need of arguing, which is a good thing as many who both direct end up with conflict and bad blood between them.
Area of development: Focusing of the camera
Again, it's simply the focusing of the camera. She seems a lot more capable with the focusing, as is Cameron, but we still all need practice to make it perfect.
