Thursday, 12 June 2014

What is a Short Film?

As I mentioned on the previous post I said I would discuss what a short film actually is. I mean, I can't create a short film without knowing what is.

Definition:

A short film, or a film short, is basically any film created that isn't long enough to be considered a feature film: a film that is a big time movie that lasts over an hour. A short film is often thought to be anywhere under 40 minutes long; this including the credits.
To be a successful short film and not a film that just bores you all to death it has to meet certain criteria, for example: it should appeal to the audience, be that through suspense or through strings of humour running through the film. It needs to reach an end, bringing the short 'story' to a close. This can sometimes be a cliff hanger but most of the time short films simply end with an abrupt, surprising ending that the audience may not have seen coming.

An example of a short film: The Black Hole
On the next post I will be uploading 3 short films that myself and the class studied in lesson: The Black Hole, The Strangers and What Virgin means. For each video I will be explaining what was good about each film, what appeals to the audience - or me in this case - and also what target audience I think it is aimed at.